How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, case 2 years in Feb. I am the not the one who filed.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: case 2 years in Feb. I am the not the one who filed. have a court date coming up. IN march 2015 my ex previous lawyer withdrew and he just recently hired a new lawyer. He put a motion to for relief from child custody agreement,vacate child support order, and 1. A Petition to Abate, Suspend and Reduce Child Support what does relief from child custody order mean?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


Relief from Child Custody Order means that he is requesting a court ordered change to the custody arrangements that you currently have on record with the court. Your ex could be asking that the court declare that he has custody of him more than originally contemplated and because of that additional custody, your ex is now seeking a reduction in the child support payments that he is currently making. In most states, a parent can petition the court if that parent feels that they have the child more than 40 or 50 percent of the time and the parent can ask for a reduction in the payable child support because of the additional time that the child is in his custody. The family court will generally make the calculation by using the number of overnights spent at the house of each parent during any particular period (usually the three to six months leading up to the hearing date). So, in this situation, it seems that your ex feels that he has custody more often than was originally agreed and he is entitled to an abatement or even a suspension of child support (he would only be granted a suspension if he has the child all the time -- full custody-- if not, he might be able to make an argument for an abatement and pay less child support).


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this box so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above so I really appreciate it. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time THANK YOU VERY MUCH