How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where do i go to get guardianship of my goddaughter. What

Customer Question

Where do i go to get guardianship of my goddaughter. What are the steps? How long does it take to get it and can i have a certain percentage of guardianship? Like 50/50 with her mother?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

The best instructions or outline I can find are from local court sites like this one:

It outlines the law and the steps to take to obtain guardianship over a minor.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what county you're in, but it is very possible that the court clerk has forms that you can use to file...and jurisdiction-specific instructions.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, if you want to be a co-guardian of the child, that request should be makable to the court as would just set out this fact/request in your petition.

Related Family Law Questions