Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Where do i go to get guardianship of my goddaughter. What

Customer Question

Where do i go to get guardianship of my goddaughter. What are the steps? How long does it take to get it and can i have a certain percentage of guardianship? Like 50/50 with her mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

The best instructions or outline I can find are from local court sites like this one: https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=1907

It outlines the law and the steps to take to obtain guardianship over a minor.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what county you're in, but it is very possible that the court clerk has forms that you can use to file...and jurisdiction-specific instructions.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, if you want to be a co-guardian of the child, that request should be makable to the court as well....you would just set out this fact/request in your petition.