How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is divorced from my granddaughter's mother. He is

Customer Question

My son is divorced from my granddaughter's mother. He is concerned about the care she gets when she in not with him. she hasn't been getting medicine she has been prescibed for pink eye. Right now they share custody, but he wants to file for full custody early next year. The problem is that he can't afford a lawyer. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

What state does he live in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops Arizona
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There are a couple of Arizona counties that have forms online that would let him do this fairly easily. Which county entered the original custody order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maricopa county
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. They have all of the forms and instructions that a parent needs to request a change in custody available for free. He doesn't need a lawyer to file them, although he could look into paying someone to review the forms before he files if he wants - that would cost less. Another option might be to see if there's a law school in the area with a family law clinic, but he should look through the papers first (linked below) to see if he feels confident submitting them himself.

He has to be able to establish either that it's been 6 months since the last order was entered OR that the child's health is in danger. If the mother's refusing to give the child necessary medication (or forgetting), he's going to meet the latter requirement.

Here are the forms and instructions. It's all pretty detailed, so read through it carefully. If you have more questions after he reviews the paperwork, I'm happy to answer them.

He'll file the original paperwork and serve a copy on the mother. She gets a chance to respond, and then a judge will decide whether to hold a hearing (it's likely, in this case). At the hearing, he'll be able to again present his arguments and the judge will decide what's best for the child.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.