How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a custody hearing tomorrow in McKinney (Collin

Customer Question

I have a custody hearing tomorrow in McKinney (Collin County) Texas.
No issues other than mother is requesting primary residency which means I will get standard visitation. I am not contesting the custody or child support.
Question: I do not have legal repersentation. What happens if I do not show up for court tomorrow? Can the judge award my ex her attorney's fees? Can a warrant be issued if I do not show up?
Please advise.
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It is not a good idea to not show up. The judge has a few choices. They can award the mother anything she requests, including her attorney fees, they can set a continuance to hold you in contempt of court, which could result in your being fined or arrested or the judge may do nothing.

If you and your wife can agree then you should call her attorney and see if you can just present an agreed order.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Have I answered your question?