How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a licensed ALABAMA attorney. My girl friend filed

Customer Question

I need a licensed ALABAMA attorney for this. My girl friend filed for divorce last year, all the settlements were agreed upon this spring by both parties. The problem is , the motion, including motion for divorce has just been sitting on the Judges desk for over 6 months now. Both parties/ both sides attorneys have been trying to politely to get the judge just to sign off on it. There should be not issues that we are not aware of. What if any resources are there on just getting the judge to get this handled. This is out of control and taking an unreasonable amount of time being no dispute to be worked out. What are our resources to nudge the judge to finish his job? Madison County , AL. We have called, went by there , etc.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow shortly in the pane below as per above parameters….

I am not a licensed AL attorney, but this is a common problem for which there are only two ethical solutions and one other solution which is, in my opinion unethical, but legal. If you would like for me to answer this question, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a licensed attorney to answer this question, licensed in Alabama.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Okay, best of luck.... I have released my lock on this question. If you change your mind, let me know.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, we have no Alabama licensed attorneys on this site, we provide general information to customers based on laws in all of the states. However, if you insist you want an AL licensed attorney, you will need to make an in person appointment locally and you can find one at the same site used by other attorneys,
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

This is Maverick. As I suspected, there is not currently an AL licensed attorney that is a part of the expert pool. See comments above by another contributor. If you would like for me to answer this for you, please let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If your reply would definitely apply to Alabama then I would consider it. I don't want an answer that does me no good in my location.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
There is one method under AL law, but you risk angering the judge in doing so. If the attorneys have tried politely to get the judge to sign off on the divorce and enter the order for divorce, the final option available is called a "writ of mandamus" and it is a motion filed to the appeals court asking them to order the court to take action and do their job. Most local attorneys will not want to do this because they have to practice in front of this judge again and this would harm them in other cases as it will get the judge angry, but that is the legal option of doing this type of thing, forcing a judge to rule after they have tried to be nice and even sent a motion for issuing final order.
Other than writ of mandamus there is no other real mechanism other than the attorneys talking to the judge or maybe you going into the judge's secretary and bringing a small gift and asking how soon the judge can get to your case, that is all the options you have to get a judge to issue an order.