How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118229
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend was arrested to pay child support, she's been

Customer Question

My girlfriend was arrested for failure to pay child support, she's been incarcerated now 1 month. She owes a little over 5,000$ total I'm struggling to make ends meet and don't have that much up front, how long will she be in there and what can I do to help her get released? Not to mention she fell down and had a miscarriage, and busted her head and got stitches and was mistreated. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The judge could not just hold her forever without a hearing. She is entitled to an attorney and the attorney needs to be filing a motion for a hearing for her release since she has been held 30 days. If she cannot afford an attorney you need to go to the public defender's office and get her help to represent her and set a hearing.
Also, you need to contact the child support enforcement unit and seek to set up some payment arrangement for her and typically if you can come up with at least 1/2 of the money due, they will not object to the release.