How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to know if I can sue my husband and s mistress in the

Customer Question

Need to know if I can sue my husband and his mistress in the state of California
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry but the answer is No, California does not allow a lawsuit based on adultery (called "criminal conversation" in the statute).

California Civil Code:

43.5. No cause of action arises for:

(a) Alienation of affection.

(b) Criminal conversation.

(c) Seduction of a person over the age of legal consent.

(d) Breach of promise of marriage.


I am sorry this is not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.

If you want to divorce him, you can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here. There is an overview of the process posted at

I hope this information is helpful.