How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16629
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 22 years old and had been in a relationship with my ex

Customer Question

Hi I'm 22 years old and had been in a relationship with my ex gf for 5 years. We have a 2 year old boy. Us citizen. But she is denying me the right to see my son. I'm not legal here. And I'm scared of getting in trouble. We have had a DNA test of the baby to see if it was my son. And it came positive. He is my legal son. Also I signed as father for him in the hospital the day he was born. We were supposed to move in together but she never did ever since the baby was born. I got an appartment for her and the baby and she changed her mind over moving in ever since the baby was born. She let me see him until a week ago. She always thread me with taking him away if I were to mess up. And we had a fight last week and she said I could no longer see him. What can I do?
Also couple days ago she said she was already moving on and I feel like her moving on with her life has to do with her not letting me see my son.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, in similar situation the father would have to file a Petition to Establish Child Custody / Visitation with the local family law court, which is local as to where the minor son and mother are located.

The immigration status is not an issue and is now considered when it comes to Child Custody / Visitation proceedings, however, the fact that someone is living illegally in the US can be brought up in court by the mother, if it is relevant to the father's ability to provide safe visitation / home environment for the minor child.

Child custody / visitation proceedings are legally complex, so it is important to consult and retain an experienced local child custody law attorney to represent you if you decide to pursue child custody / visitation through the courts.

You can find an experienced and skilled local child custody law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to child cutody law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Related Family Law Questions