Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

Harrasssment
, I have a person who is harrassing me

Customer Question

Customer: Harrasssment
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a person who is harrassing me online. They recently made a post to reveal my personal information including my name, address, etc. They have threatend me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: make comments, like I HOPE U GET RAPED BY A GORILLA WITH AIDS U DINGENUOUS MORONIC SCUM!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I want to know is, does a person have to live in the same city as me to file for a harassment restraining order? I live in Cypress, Texas (Harris county) and he lives in San Antonio, Texas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My secondary question is, if I file for a harassment restraining order, can my lawyer represent me on my behalf? Or do I have to go to court myself?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No, you don't have to live in the same city to get a harassment restraining order. So long as the person is properly served with the order and -- if you get it in his county -- you file it with your police in your county, it would stil protect you.

You should be there in court with your lawyer for the hearing as you'd be expected to testify and present evidence. There may be some proceedings for which you wouldn't be needed but your lawyer can advise you as to that.