How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27056
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, I have a person who is harrassing me

Customer Question

Customer: Harrasssment
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a person who is harrassing me online. They recently made a post to reveal my personal information including my name, address, etc. They have threatend me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I want to know is, does a person have to live in the same city as me to file for a harassment restraining order? I live in Cypress, Texas (Harris county) and he lives in San Antonio, Texas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My secondary question is, if I file for a harassment restraining order, can my lawyer represent me on my behalf? Or do I have to go to court myself?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


No, you don't have to live in the same city to get a harassment restraining order. So long as the person is properly served with the order and -- if you get it in his county -- you file it with your police in your county, it would stil protect you.

You should be there in court with your lawyer for the hearing as you'd be expected to testify and present evidence. There may be some proceedings for which you wouldn't be needed but your lawyer can advise you as to that.

Related Family Law Questions