How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have seen my grandson and step granddaughter weekend

Customer Question

I have seen my grandson and step granddaughter for every weekend for 4 years. Tip toed around my sons ex wife and bent over backward to make this happen. Bought every diaper for 4 year old grandson and tons of clothes and toys for both. My son went to Minnesota for drug addiction 4 years ago to a treatment facility. He got out after 30 days and had a couple of stays in jail for theft of bosses propery. Got caught again and served 5 months in prison. Released in Sept from prison. Passed a hair follicle drug test that showed he is six months sober and drug free. Off and on he tried to contact ex wife to see children she would never allow it. He went for 18 months once without contacting her. All child support is paid. She did let him see them with me supervising for 8 hours on thanksgiving day. Now she is angry and hired a lawyer for single parent adoption. What are her chances
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as your son is clean now, and will agree to periodically test for drugs, then the court is unlikely to grant his ex a single adoption---which is just another way of saying that she is petitioning to have his parental rights terminated permanently with no opportunity to have them ever reinstated. It is important that he try to have visitation as often as he can---and if there is no longer a visitation order in place which he can rely on to force his ex to allow visitation, then he will want to immediately petition the court for a child visitation order so he will be able to continue to have court ordered visitation.

Based on the past history your son has, I would seriously suggest that he retain a local family law attorney (in the area where the children live) to represent him in this first shot in quite a while at court ordered visitation. He will need a seasoned legal representative if he to have the best chance at getting reasonable visitation times and the best chance at avoiding having his parental rights terminated.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Related Family Law Questions