How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118669
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking second opinion. Here is my situation. I was

Customer Question

I am looking for a second opinion. Here is my situation. I was molested as a 7 year old child by a man in the Jewish community. He is now dead. My memories of the molestation did not come back until I was 32. Iam now 43. When I was 32 I sent a letter to
his daughter and son with my story and requested validation from them as to what happened to me. I never received it. I want to write a letter of my story and what this man did to me and I want to mention his name and the name of his family. I want to send
this letter out to a large number of people in the Jewish community because I want the truth to be out. I need this for my healing. It is important to me to mention the name of the man and the man's daughter ( the son is now dead) because they never acknowledged
me. Can they sue me? Please help me with a thorough answer. I'm scared and anxious but feel it is something I have to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, I am afraid that there is a potential they could sue you for defamation. You would then bear the burden of proving that the claims you wrote are the truth. The truth is the ultimate defense to claims of defamation.
While I do know that writing these things can be cathartic and promote healing, you need to have the actual evidence to back up your claims or else you would get sued and could have to pay damages.
However, if you can prove what you say is truthful, they could sue you all day long and they could not stop you from publishing the truth about the incident.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only proof I have is what I have told the therapist. The man is now dead. How can I truly prove it?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
That can be what can get you sued was my point. You have to have proof of what you are saying, because if not they can sue you and stop you from making these allegations without proof to support your claim and seek damages from you for doing so.
This is a very difficult situation you are in to be sure, but you have to protect yourself by having some evidence besides just your word in order to make this public and assassinate his character.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The man is dead. Why would they sue for damamges if he is dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of damages can they sue for?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Damage to his memory, since he was well known in the community is something the family can sue for. People cannot just make allegations in public about anyone without having some evidence to support those allegations.