How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34530
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i get a restraining order from my mother? She lives

Customer Question

How can i get a restraining order from my mother? She lives in texas, i live in Colorado. Shes 66, iam 46. Listen, I know it sounds crazy already, but I have had enough of the verbal abuse through all the years, & I would just like to have a piece of paper that states I want nothing more to do with her is there anyone that can help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma

You are going to have a tough time getting a restraining order.
The reason is tied to jurisdiction, as well as the basis for which a court will issue such an order. The court will not issue a restraining order for verbal abuse. You would need to have a fear of physical violence. Also, you would need to travel to Texas to have this issued, since the Colorado court has no jurisdiction over someone in Texas.

That said, it may be you can accomplish what you are looking for by having a local attorney send her a letter, demanding she stop contacting you and threatening to sue her if she continues. Many attorneys will write such a letter for a nominal cost. It may be this convinces her to stop contacting you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Family Law Questions