How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband fathered a child 37 years ago with mother and

Customer Question

My husband fathered a child 37 years ago with mother and another man raising her....... Now she wants a paternity test..... Legal ramifications?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only legal ramification would be potentially that if he dies without a will she would be entitled to inherit from his estate. However, if he writes a will and specifically excludes her from the will, then the courts will honor that will and she could not inherit as there is no forced inheritance right for an adult child.
As the child is well beyond 18, no child support or other support entitlement could be claimed.
Your husband does not have to agree to any such test without a court order and should not do so unless ordered by the court.