How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30375
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nice answer to the last question. I recently got married in

Customer Question

Customer: Nice answer to the last question. I recently got married in Costa Rica, Nov 17th. It appears that my spouse was already married. We are both American Citizens. The Costa Rican documents were never filed in the US. Do I need to file for an annulment in Costa Rica? Or can I do it in the US?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What specific info might help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Absolutely. Let me grab my wallet
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You have the ability to file in the US for a determination that your marriage is void. You do not need to return to Costa Rica. The US court will have jurisdiction over you as a US citizen and resident of the state where you live. If you wanted to remain married, you could do nothing, wait for your spouse to get a divorce on the first marriage, and then go to the courthouse to have your marriage made legal. You wouldn't be required to go through the annulment process first.

From your question, it sounds like you went to Costa Rica to get married while living in the US. If that's not the case, please let me know what US state you're in now so I can look up the residency requirement before you can file (it's 6 months in many states, but some have a shorter requirement).