Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I sue my husband's mistress. I live in Georgia. I have…

Customer Question
Can I sue my husband's...
Can I sue my husband's mistress. I live in Georgia. I have proof of the affair and proof of where she was in our place of business and contacting him over the phone. I suffered emotional stress behind it had to seek a therapist and now Im pregnant 26 weeks on bedrest until my baby is born due to complications. It has really been a struggle and taken a toll on me and the fact that I have to be away from my other kids is tearing me apart. Is there any advice you can give me as to whether I have a potential case or not?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/7/2015
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

The cause of action that you are referring to is known as Alienation of Affection. While the state of GA has such a right of action many, many years ago, the legislature eliminated the cause of action on April 4, 1979, thereby preventing any suit for Alienation of Affection from being brought in a Georgia court. So in this respect, you don't have a viable case against the mistress. I am sorry.

On the other hand you certainly have the legal grounds to sue for divorce based on adultery.

If you are interested in divorcing your cheating spouse, I can provide you with information in that regard if you ask.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug