Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

My ex and I share 5050 custody year on year off she was

Customer Question

my ex and I share 5050 custody year on year off she was supposed to take custody for her time in august and hasn't she is now living in a shelter and is trying to force me to give her our children she has done nothing to support the children and has only seen them 6 times in a year and a half do I have to give her our girls because our custody order says so and what are my options
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

No, you do not have to give her custody of the girls at this time until her own living situation improves and she can give them a better place to live. No court will make you turn the children over to her under these circumstances. However, if you want to make it official, then my suggestion is that you go to the original court where the custody order was set out and file a Motion for Modification of custody and ask for sole custody at this time until she can better show the court that she has achieved some level of stability and can start with visitation and then possible joint custody again at some point in the future. The court will act in what is in the best interests of the children in your case (that is actually the legal test -- the judge will way all factors and determine what situation your girls are better off being in and you can bet that the shelter will not be on the top of the judges list for the girls to live). You may be forced to permit visitation but my suggestion is that you ask that the visitation either be at your own house or supervised in some other manner by the court until your ex can show that she has found a steady place to live and to bring the girls for visitation rights to happen unsupervised.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating in the ratings section above (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right in the ratings section will register a positive rating) so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional money -- it is just a trigger to this website to pay me for my time.

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH