How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son have child support case and I'm trying to see if can

Customer Question

My son have child support case and I'm trying to see if can postpone it until after the holidays and how would he about doing that
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


Your son needs to contact the clerk's office at the court where the hearing is to be held and explain the situation to them and ask if it is possible if he can request a continuance on the matter. Now, they will probably only continue the matter for about one month and then he will be required to appear for the hearing, but hopefully that will be enough time for him to get to the courthouse. If a clerk there tells him that it is possible to continue the hearing he will have to put a request in writing and the reasons for it and deliver that letter to both the court AND the opposing side in the case. Generally speaking, if the reason for the continuance request is financial at the holidays and when someone has just appeared, the court will be agreeable to the continuance BUT if the other side opposes the continuance then the clerks office might not be able to do anything for him. If that happens, then he should ask the clerk if he can appear at the hearing by telephone conference, because again, some courts are very agreeable to going forward with hearings in cases in this manner --even if it ends up simply getting continued again on the telephone conference.


Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above (the third, fourth or fifth star is a positive rating) so that I will be paid for my time assisting you . I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time.