Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can an adoptive parent put s special needs adult son on an

Customer Question
Can an adoptive parent put...
Can an adoptive parent put his special needs adult son on an airplane with the intent to send the special needs son to his brother in another state WHO HAS NOT GIVEN APPROVAL to accept and care for his brother?
This is currently taking place now....was advised via text plane ticket purchased and special needs adult scheduled to arrive on Dec. 16. There is no housing or any other arrangements agreed upon. Father is pushing adult needs son on other son. Help please
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
12/4/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please explain what you mean by "adoptive parent." Is he the son's biological father, or not? Does he have an adult guardianship order over the child? Is his mother in the picture and if not, why not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He and the wife legally adopted the special needs son and other son.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Father and mother hv legal guardianship over son receiving monthly payments to care for special needs son. Mother resides in same home

Thank you.

No, the father cannot do this. As a legal guardian, he now formally has the duty to care for him. He cannot simply abandon him, or force that duty non-consensually upon someone else.

So what he is doing is wrong. He may actually be sanctioned by the Court that oversees the adult guardianship, and may even be criminally charged under laws dealing with neglect.

What someone in your situation can do is let him know of this. And/or, one can contact Ohio's Adult Protective Services in that county which may intervene and take the special needs adult into custody if the father is unable/unwilling to care for them anymore and have the guardianship transferred to the state or someone else willing to care for him.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ely,
Thank you for your time. I no longer need your assistance or answer to my question. I give approval to pay the initial fee of $5 ONLY and nothing more. I will expect your company will not attempt to charge me $53 or any other amount over my agreed upon rate of $5. Bridget Orlando 12/4/2015 @ 12:06PM Hawaii Time

Bridget,

I am not in charge of billing. Experts do not even have access to your billing profile. You have to contact customer service for that at www.justanswer.com/help

Meanwhile, I do not get credit unless you actually rate the question positively. Please consider doing so. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law