How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is not adhearing to the divorce decree..Also

Customer Question

My husband is not adhearing to the divorce decree..Also during th separation our daughter was murdered so things were put on hold while I settled her estate. I thought I was ready to deal with our divorce afterwards. I have Parkinson`Disease. My lawyer did not look out for my future. I was convinced to take a rundown beach cottage in leu of seeking spousal support because it was appraised for $450,000.00. He agreed to 5years of spousal support and pay off the equity line of credit against that summer home then sends me a letter saying he is not responsible but only for half & of it & using my spousal support money to pay for credit debt & loan. I was in a fog from the truma of my daughter`s death. We were married for 35 years. He was the bread winner during our marriage & I worked part time jobs when the children got older & contributed to our household income, but I have no pension. At 41 we Had our last child & I had been working with Sears for about 13yrs. He convinced me to quit & stay home with the baby. I thought I would be able to return to Sears when he was older but it did not happen. I had to sell the beach home for only @150,000.00 because of the appraised amount went down, My lawyer did not think of my future needs. So I`m am Medicare disability. I have to pay for taxes, car insurance, health insurance & medical care. Things I never realized at the time of our divorce. I only have a place to live (my deceased daughters condo). I`ve talked with my lawyer & he was suppose to file a rule to show cause because my ex-husband is not following the courts ruling & I feel I did not get a fair settlement. I did not get 1/2 of his retirement or get put down as a beneficiary on his life insurance . The judge at the settlement was new & I even over heard his lawyer & my lawyer say this should be a easy settlement. As I said I was in a fog on medication which I feel (to deal with my daughters death) kept me from thinking forward. I moved away thinking I could start my life over & find a job to support myself. I am 63 now met him at the age of 20 & had 3 abortions due to his influence. When he said he wanted a divorce it was "I don`t like the way you look, act, walk or talk and the hell if he was going to take care of me the rest of his life because I had Parkinson`s Disease & my lawyer is not fighting to help me. Thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he is not complying with the terms of the divorce decree, then you have to return to court. You will have to file a Motion for an Order to Show Cause for Contempt and attach the proof that he is not complying with your court decree and ask the court to order him to do so. On a contempt motion, if you prove he is not complying, you would be entitled to recover attorney's fees and costs for having to go to court. If you are not happy with the last attorney you used, you can use a new attorney and have a new attorney take him to court to enforce the court order and make him pay your fees.
As far as everything you agreed to and everything that is in the court order, it is too late to undo that now, since you agreed to it and it was entered into court as an order and you did not appeal. However, you can surely force him to abide by the court order.

Related Family Law Questions