How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 67 year old senior. My only source of income is my

Customer Question

I am a 67 year old senior. My only source of income is my Social Security Benefit. My wife is going to file for divorce and wants spousal support/alimony. Will my monthly SSA benefit be reduced for these payments? I have heard that my wife may have to go to Social Security Admin to get her payments and not get any of my monthly Social Security Benefit. True? We have been married 16 years. Wife has applied for SSDI but has been denied twice and is in appeal process. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Under a recent case called In re Marriage of Reynolds (1998) 63 Cal.App.4th 1373 you are entitled to retire at age sixty five and can not be required to work to support your spouse beyond that age. Arguably if you are forced into early retirement you may be able to convince the court that you should not have to continue to pay support.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.