Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My father is having s paychecks garnished because he owes

Customer Question
My father is having his...
My father is having his paychecks garnished because he owes child support but my mother is not actually using the money to help me the "child" (I am now 25 and financially independent) Is there a way I can report my mother so the case against my father can be closed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2015
Family Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker replied 1 year ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Take a look at the court order. It should give an end date to his payments, typically when the child becomes 18, or sometimes after college is finished. If there is an end date that is already passed, he just has to bring that forward to the court and get the garnishment to stop. He can also get back any payments he made that did not comply with the order.

If the order does not have an end date, you should do the same thing, and just explain to the judge that you are no longer a dependent and that the funds are not being used on your care.

Either way, your father needs to make the motion, you can't do it yourself because you are not a party to the action. However he definitely should not have a wage garnishment for something that he doesn't owe and is not being used to pay for your care.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello, I just want you to know that I am online today, if you have any follow up questions relating to your original question.

If not, please be sure to close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating, which will ensure that I get paid for my work with you and that the system doesn't keep your money.

Take care,

Kim

I just want to make sure that the system doesn't keep your money and I get credited for my work with you. Please go ahead and close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating.

Best of luck and take care,
Kim

Hi there,

It has been 6 days since I answered your question, and the question is still open. I need to close it out so that I get paid for my work with you. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim

KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw