How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children's father has just been released from serving 6

Customer Question

My children's father has just been released from serving 6 years on DV charges. I have sole legal and physical custody and have lived overseas for the last 3 years with the children. He has previous convictions as a violent felon and there was CPS involvement before he was incarcerated due to the DV. I would like to know if I can have his parental rights terminated. The kids were 4 months and 1 and half even he was incarcerated so have never known him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, based on the facts you have presented, you do have legal grounds to seek to have the parental rights of the father terminated under CA law. You will have to file the petition in the CA county where he presently resides.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,