How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that my ex boyfriend has a battery charge

Customer Question

I just found out that my ex boyfriend has a sexual battery charge as well as DUI's and some warrants out. How do I protect my baby? His name is ***** ***** birth certificate and he was not at the hospital when I delivered. He has not contacted me for 3 weeks since she has delivered.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under CO law, as your ex is not named as the father on the birth certificate, and there is no record of him being the natural father, he has absolutely no legal right to custody or visitation of your child and you are under no legal obligation to grant him visitation.

In order for him to even have visitation rights, he would have to apply to the court for those rights and you could use his sexually violent history and outstanding warrants for arrest as a legal basis to deny him visitation.

There is little reason to be concerned about his filing for visitation in the near future as that would open him up to arrest on the warrants and you can use his sexual offender history to seek to prevent visitation.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Related Family Law Questions