How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get custody of step childern

Customer Question

how do i get custody of step childern
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


If you have been left alone with the minor children or they have been left alone without adult supervision, then the best way to approach this is to contact the Tennessee Dept of Children's services and let them know what is happening and that you are willing to take custody of them. Now, if there is another parent or blood relative in the picture that is capable of taking care of them and applies to the CPS or the family court to do so, such blood parents and relatives will generally be given preference over a step parent for custody of any minor children in such a situation as you describe (you are also permitted to make an argument that placement with you is in the best interests of the children and the judge will consider all placement options at an open hearing. If you or another relative are willing to take custody and are fit to do so, then they will not end up in foster care because the family law requires CPS and the state of TN to place the children with blood parents or relatives first and then other relations after that and lastly, the court can consider family friends as foster parents. Foster care can only be used if there are absolutely no other options available). However, unless you want to hire a lawyer and file court paperwork for custody of them yourself tomorrow morning, by the time the matter gets to court, mother may have returned and the situation may be completely changed. At the very least the TN CPS department can get the process speeded up and can get the matter into court within a day or two if they believe it is the way that the matter should be handled. In order to report such matters, here is an internet link (there is online and telephone contact information at this website) --


Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this correspondence box so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star from the right in the ratings section before leaving the website. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH