How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Approx. nine months ago unemployed man ordered to pay child

Customer Question

Approx. nine months ago unemployed man ordered to pay child support. He is now employed at a fitness center. He was ordered to pay at minimum wage scale. Can I take him back to court so he can be ordered to pay according to his current income. Is there a time restriction as to when I can file or could I have filed immediately upon learning he was employed? Also, my family was charged by the hospital for the delivery of the baby, can he be ordered to pay the entire bill or at least half of the cost?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

In most states, you can apply for modification immediately upon a change in circumstances, but in some states, you can only do so if the modification would pass a certain thresshold. What state are you in? Also, in most states, you could get shared childbirth costs, but the way to do it varies depending on where you are procedurally in your court case. Did you file a paternity action in order to get the child support order? If so, what is the status of that case?

Related Family Law Questions