How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old nephew will be coming from Tennessee to live

Customer Question

My 12 year old nephew will be coming from Tennessee to live with me in Kansas. He turns 13 in January. I am no seeking guardianship or custody of him. I am needing to know what legal documents I will need to have so I can enroll him in school, make medical decisions, take to health and dental appointments.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

The fastest least expensive option is for the parents to give you temporary guardianship. Which is signed and notarized by the parties. This will allow enrollment in school and handling of medical issues. The only drawback to the guardianship is that the parents can revoke it at any time. If you file for custody and obtain a court order the parents cannot change it without having to file for a modification in court that would be granted by the judge.

The customer is obviously more stable but also more expensive and time consuming.

Related Family Law Questions