How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 68 and I'm 50, We are getting a divorce. He is

Customer Question

My husband is 68 and I'm 50, We are getting a divorce. He is now drawing SS and only working part-time. We have been married 13 years been together 18. He said he will retire so not to pay alimony. He has large amounts of money in his profit sharing, IRA account and 401k. Can I ask for my alimony if ordered to be taken from his 401 and rolled over into mine in a lump sum?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

All money deposited into an IRA or 401(k) account during the marriage is joint property and must be split equitably at the time of the divorce. You'll have the ability to put the money into retirement accounts in your name, to be drawn on when you're older. You're also entitled to half the money in the profit-sharing plan. This is NOT part of the alimony you will receive. That's part of the equitable property distribution required by law (unlike alimony, which is not required by law).

You're allowed to ask the judge to order your husband to pay alimony based on his current income, your current income, and your necessary expenses. The judge will determine how much you need, what your husband can afford to pay, and look at your work histories. It's possible that your husband will not be able to retire if he's required to pay alimony. When you show the judge that he only retired because of the divorce, that should count in your favor.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.