How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a domestic partnership which was filed in CA in 2002.

Customer Question

I have a domestic partnership which was filed in CA in 2002. I married the same person in Arkansas in 2007. I'm divorcing the same person currently, in 2015, in Tennessee where we have lived for a year. Will I get credit for all of the years we have been together, or just those we were legally married?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The divorce paperwork will be filed in Hendersonville, TN, Sumner County. There is a minor child involved.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

Marital property is what is divided at the time of a divorce. Marital property is defined as assets acquired from the date of marriage until the date of separation. Marital property is called a marital estate. Property acquired before or after marriage is not part of the marital estate subject to division in a divorce proceeding. Unfortunately, any property acquired during the domestic partnership is not divisible in the divorce proceeding. If it is titled in your name alone it does not have to be shared with partner and vice versa. If it was titled jointly prior to marriage it will have to be divided.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck. I understand that this may not be the answer you like to hear but it is the honest and accurate answer. Please don't rate me maybe negatively because the answer is unfavorable.