Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a question. We are a gay couple and just had our

Customer Question
Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question. We are a gay couple and just had our wedding ceremony in Greece in September of this year, although it's not officially recognised there. It was just a civil ceremony. We would like to make the marriage official in San Francisco by registering it there in January 2016. We are both foreign citizens from Singapore & Australia & non residents of the U.S. Although I used to live in the U.S. for 4 years attending university in San Francisco and Ithaca, New York.
1) Do we qualify to register our marriage licence in San Francisco as foreign nationals or must we be U.S. citizens?
2) Do we need any other specific documentation ( over and above the current requirement list )?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/23/2015
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Greece does not recognize same sex marriage, so you are not legally married.

You can legally get married in San Francisco whether or not either of you is a citizen of the US, see

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=16

Please let me know if this does not answer your question prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thq for responding. So once the marriage licence is issued there is a 90 day period where the couple must get married for the licence to be valid correct? How do we go about meeting that requirement, because we already had a wedding ceremony in Greece? Can we get that done the same day we get the marriage licence at City Hall?

Yes, you can get married at City Hall for an additional fee of $78 but you will need to bring at least one person to act as a witness, see

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=18

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney