How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Pennsylvania, to make the story quick, I went

Customer Question

HI, I live in Pennsylvania, to make the story quick, I went through a custody battle with my 9 year old son, I wanted half half -dad wanted full time-or rather his controlling rich step-mother who happens to be a retired neaurologist, lol-anyways, while I was testifying, the judge came out and admitted that she was treated by this mother in law 20 years ago or so, anyways, mother in law asked for certain regulations with me with my son, she got it.. .. was this proper of the judge....and theres more, my attorney reported his attorney for making herself wittness, you wouldnt believe whats been done to criminal history nothing, I cry alot..your opinion would be great.. thanks Courtney
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody there???
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Courtney,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

No, this wasn't proper of the judge. If the judge had a conflict of interest that made it impossible to decide the case on the merits, then she needed to recuse herself and allow another judge to take over. Also, your former mother-in-law is not a party to the case, so she shouldn't be asking for anything. Her son can make requests, but witnesses can't.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You have the ability to appeal the decision based on an abuse of the judge's discretion. The judge should be making decisions based on what is in the best interests of the child, which means considering a long list of factors - not based on a prior relationship with a relative of one of the parents.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You could also ask your attorney to look into reporting the judge for a violation of the code of judicial conduct, which requires avoiding even the appearance of impropriety.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions