How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 6 year old intellectually disabled son who has told

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old intellectually disabled son who has told his father that my boyfriend has hit him but in actuality he was never hit in an aggressive manner but in play in the form of poking in the stomach ( I know for a fact cause I am always present when they interact). My son is mentally the age of a 3 year old so can not explain properly. I explained the interaction to his father but he refuses to except anything I say about the matter and has threatend to cause my boyfriend physical harm as well as call the police and child services. My question is what is the best course of action? Should I contact the police/child services myself and explain everything that is happening? If contacted first should I obtain a lawyer before answer questions
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

At this point, the best course of action would be simply to speak to his father and try to calm him down. You should not call child services to explain what happened. Just be sure to document everything from this point forward (all conversations, text messages, emails, etc.). Try to have all conversations in writing. The only thing you can do at this point is wait. Your boyfriend could potentially call the police to report the threats. He may even be able to get a restraining order. However, this will only aggravate the situation in my opinion and should be avoided.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I obtain a lawyer before answering any questions by a social worker
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that would benefit you. However, the social workers typically inspect the environment to see if there is any credibility to the complaints that were made. If there is nothing to worry about, then you can save the money. If you don't handle these types of situations well or if there may be some things that could catch the attention of child services, then I would consult an attorney.