How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife took off to italy. She is now moving in with some

Customer Question

my wife took off to italy. She is now moving in with some guy in england. Is this considered abandonment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


Oregon law does not recognize the doctrine of spousal abandonment. ORS 107.036 ("(1) The doctrines of fault and of in pari delicto are abolished in suits for the annulment or dissolution of a marriage or for separation.").

You may want to consider bringing an action for divorce in the Oregon Circuit Court, and request an emergency order granting you temporary sole custody, so that you can use the order as grounds to obtain the assistance of Italy law enforcement in the recovery of your child.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!