How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118201
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the amount of Alimony I pay change with my Income. I'm

Customer Question

Does the amount of Alimony I pay change with my Income. I'm now 90% disabled and working is hard, But Alimony is hurting me live life. I retired from the Army and I don't make half what I used to, the x-wife want part of my retirement 18% ( I was told is state Law) is there anything I CAN DO. thanks' DALE
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, alimony can be adjusted based on significant change in your financial circumstances. It would be up to you to file a motion to modify/terminate support based on you having a significant change in financial circumstances.
In addition, your retirement, if your divorce court ordered her to get the share of your pension based on the length of marriage, she is entitled to that amount. However, if you can get your military pension somehow changed to a disability pension, then she would not be able to get any of the portion of your pension that is considered due to disability, which could put some more money in your pocket.