How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get my son i live in a different state i havent

Customer Question

How do i get my son i live in a different state i havent seen my son in 2 years my childs mother will noot communicate with me we have no address to get her served papers i am on childsupport and they say they cannot give me an address please help me i
am begging her and i were never married
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me, is there a custody order in place? If so what does it provide (do you have visitation)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have nothing just a childsupport order. i have no visitation rights at all.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

THank you

What state is mom in, do you know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owatonna MN
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.


It is possible to get visitation with your son. Frankly, I would expect that the court would grant you time. The court presumes it is good for the child to have both parents in its unless there is evidence you are a danger to the child, you will get visitation.

That said, you need to take action. You need to file a motion with the court in the county where mom lives.

Do do that you need two things

1. Mom's address

2. An attorney to file and present this case for you. The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

As for tracking down mom? The attorney can certainly do this for you. Or, you could pay a private investigator to track her down.

Bot***** *****ne: this will be easy, but you should use an attorney to help you through the process.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.