How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30395
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I divorced 10 years ago in ny state. We tried to

Customer Question

My wife and I divorced 10 years ago in ny state. We tried to do the divorce paperwork ourselves but it was too difficult. I told her to hire an attorney to complete the paperwork and I would pay for it. After some time we were summoned to the attorney's office to sign the papers. We both signed....I didn't read the agreement as it was a "friendly" divorce. I kept her on my health insurance as we were still friends and in fact still cohabitated. A few years later I told her I was going to take her off my insurance and she told me that she had inserted in to the divorce a clause whereby I had to provide her Healthcare insurance for life. Do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

A person is legally considered to have read, understood, and agreed to everything in a contract that he signed. It's unfortunately not possible to use "I didn't read it before I signed" as a reason to invalidate or cancel a contract.

However, if circumstances have changed materially since you divorced, and you can no longer afford to provide her with insurance, her income has increased significantly, she has remarried, or she has gotten a job that offers affordable health insurance, you may be able to file a Motion to Modify Judgment, asking the judge to change it. An agreement that you'll pay health insurance is a type of alimony, and alimony can always be modified when circumstances change.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.