How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of Maryland what are my rights if I 't want my

Customer Question

In the state of Maryland what are my rights if I don't want my mother-in-law to enter my house while I'm present or when my step children are home alone? She can only enter when my (soon - to - be) ex wife is home alone or with the children, but not while I'm there. My wife and I have joint ownership of the house at this time. We are in the very beginning stages of planning our divorce.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Are both you and your soon to be ex living in the home at this time? Also, just to be clear, she wants to enter the home when just you are there or only when your wife is there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are both living in the home at this time.....very messy beginnings of a divorce in which my mother-n-law is causing problems. She has manipulated her grandchildren and speaks unfavorably of me around them. I don't need to speak to her or be in her presence, but I don't feel I should have to abandon my home when she attempts to visit.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. The key thing right now, is that 1) you and your wife have a shared legal interest in the home at this time and 2) your wife lives in the home and has just as much right to it as you do. With that being said, if she is home, she can allow her mother to enter and be there. Yes, you can object to it and ask her to leave but even if you called the police, with your wife still living there, they are likely going to say she can allow her mother to stay. Now, if she was not home, then you would not necessarily have to answer the door and let her in. Once you file for divorce, then this can be addressed with the Judge and you can ask for possession of the home and for the decision to say who can stay and who can not appear. I understand it is messy but living together will only make it worse and a decision needs to be made, as to who will live in the home during the divorce, with the children. I agree that you should not have to leave the home when she is there but at the same time, your wife is allowed to invite her mother into the home, where she resides, absent a court order.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions