How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117392
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 63 year old 100% disabled Retired Veteran and I was

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old 100% disabled Retired Veteran and I was attacked at my daughters home by her boy friend. They changed the story around to make it look like I was the attacker cleaned up the area were the act took place before the police arrived. She is a retired police officer and he had been drinking. I have no witness to the crime but my six year old granddaughter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is terrible, what is your specific question for us about this? Were you arrested and charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not charged nor were the other people that attacked me. by the time the police arrived they had cleaned up the crime scene and made it look like I was the attacker. They were witness for each other and only had my 6 year old. What can I do to get justice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I sue for medial, mental and physical damages?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
If the police decided not to charge anyone with a crime, then your only option remaining is a civil suit. You can sue for mental anguish and emotional distress as well as the physical injury and damages you suffered. You would need to take the matter to civil court though, as the decision of the police is up to them about criminal charges. You would have an issue if your 6 year old was the only witness, because the courts are reluctant to have someone that young testify, but it is possible to ask the judge to allow the child to testify in chambers and then the court will have to evaluate the child's maturity level to determine whether or not they will consider what the child has to say. Other than the child as a witness, you would also need to present some evidence to support your claim that you were the victim of the attack.

Related Family Law Questions