Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Just to clarify your last answer to my questions: Because my

Customer Question

Just to clarify your last answer to my questions: Because my wife has NOT listed her other secret debts on the debt and income statement in the divorce, she and she alone will be held responsible for the payment of them, and NOT me in the future? Can the
creditors still attach my wages and/or take me to Civil court to get payment from me in the future even though the secret debt was created by her and in her name only during our message and she refuses to list multiple other accounts that have gone to collections?
She now gets mail at a PO box, so I don't see the bills and/or statements, never have. Please note, once this mess is figured out, I will take time to "rate" you and contribute a tip.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

If the debt is in wife's name alone and not addressed in a marriage settlement agreement it will remain a debt only obligated by wife to that creditor. The only way to create an obligation for you for a debt in her name alone is by a marriage settlement agreement or a decision by the Court assigning you apportion of liability. If she fails to identify the debt to the court or in an marriage settlement agreement there will be no possibility of liability on your part. It makes no sense as to why she would try to hide debts. One would think she would try to keep all the assets for herself while splitting the debt between the two of you.