Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have divorced years. At the time of the divorce we had

Customer Question
I have divorced for five...
I have divorced for five years.
At the time of the divorce we had taken out a reverse mortgage. In the divorce I was given the home that the mortgage is on. My ex wife's name is ***** ***** the reverse mortgage but has been removed from the deed. I am looking at re financing the reverse, what are the concerns with her name still on it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

A few minutes please.

I'm sorry - I am unable to download the necessary material due to internet connectivity issues; I will opt out so someone else can assist you.

Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good evening,

New professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you were granted title to the property in the divorce, and your ex's name is ***** ***** on the deed, then there really is no problem with you refinancing the mortgage---either to a traditional mortgage or to a second reverse mortgage.

Her name being on the reverse mortgage means nothing if the refinance will occur, because with the refinance, the original note is paid, and for the new mortgage, you will be the only obligor on the note---which of course means that only your credit worthiness will be considered in your refinance application.

So, in conclusion, as you are sole owner of the property, the fact that your ex's name appears as an obligor on the present mortgage means nothing in terms of your ability to refinance the mortgage.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law