How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister, Edna Harrison, has been diagnosed with dementia.

Customer Question

My sister, Edna Harrison, has been diagnosed with dementia. She is being cared for by her son, ***** *****on. Edna and Ronald also allowed my niece's children to live with them. My niece, Renetta Woods, has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and has
been the cause of many disturbances at the home, even though she lives elsewhere. The children's father, Lawrence Woods, is divorced from my niece and doesn't play a significant role in the children's lives. The four children are disruptive and in need of
their mother and father to take care of them. My sister and Ronald can no longer take care of them and all their needs in the light of my sister's condition. My nephew Ronald has asked my brother and me to help him and Edna to establish court proceedings to
remove the children from the home and be care for by their parents. Ronald has the power of attorney and is evoking a restraining order on Renetta so that he can provide appropriate care for my sister. We need this matter resolve in family court, but we don't
know how to arrange it. How can we go about getting this matter resolved in family court? Who can we contact in Albuquerque,New Mexico where my sister and nephew reside to help resolve the matter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If Ronald has PoA, he can file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of the restraining order in the court that issued it. She will be arrested and brought to court. In the meantime, if she is in as bad of shape as you say, someone in the family needs to also file a petition for adult guardianship/conservatorship in the court as well to get control over Renetta, since that will be the only way to force her into the help she needs.
Once you obtain guardianship over her, you can force her into treatment and also obtain guardianship over the children as well.
We are forbidden from making personal referrals by state law, but you can get a family or elder law attorney (both deal with these matters frequently) at the same sites used by other attorneys, or

Related Family Law Questions