Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My sister-in-law is in new mexico, has a 1 year old who was

Customer Question
born there, she is unmarried...
My sister-in-law is in new mexico, has a 1 year old who was born there, she is unmarried, has split with her boyfriend badly - he is on the birth certificate.
She would like to move to AZ with the baby to live with us and get a fresh start where there are better opportunities, but he has filed custody papers in new mexico for joint custody. (she has been served, but no court dates or anything yet)
Can she move to az, or is she forced to stay in new mexico? Can he come to AZ and file here?
many thanks for any help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If he has filed for custody, the papers likely restrict her ability to leave the State with the child, while the matter is pending. She MUST review the legal papers she was served with, as I am inclined to believe it states the same. If it does, then she would need to get permission from the Judge, to temporarily relocate with the child and explain to the Judge that there are better opportunities there for her, which will allow her to provide better for the child. She can agree to allow him visitation but that she wants to remain the custodial parent and that she needs to relocate, for the best interest of the child. Since they live in New Mexico, that is the State and the court which would have jurisdiction over the matter.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer