How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37852
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 16 and we live in Iowa. He refuses to see s dad

Customer Question

My son is 16 and we live in Iowa. He refuses to see his dad and we think his dad is going to take us to court? How old does my son have to be if he doesn't want to see his dad?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a rule, minors cannot decide for themselves when they will participate in visitation. So technically, he can't make that decision for himself until he is 18, active duty in the military, or married.

He will be able to explain to the judge why he does not want to participate and I have occasionally seen a judge defer to a teenager 16 or older---but that is rare and in more instances the other parent (you) may get your hand slapped for not enforcing visitation. If you continue to allow him to avoid visitation, even after being warned by the court, you could lose custody to your son's father---something I am sure that neither of you want to see occur.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Family Law Questions