Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

He bought me a ring before all the fights occur and the

Customer Question
incident , do I need...
he bought me a ring before all the fights occur and the incident , do I need return the ring ? what's the va law in this case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

A few minutes please

basically I want to know Virginia law for engagement ring

Thank you for your patience.

Fortunately VA has a statute that addresses this very issue:

One more moment please.

Here is the statute:

8.01-220. Action for alienation of affection, breach of promise, criminalconversation and seduction abolished.

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no civilaction shall lie or be maintained in this Commonwealth for alienation ofaffection, breach of promise to marry, or criminal conversation upon which acause of action arose or occurred on or after June 28, 1968.

B. No civil action for seduction shall lie or be maintained where the causeof action arose or accrued on or after July 1, 1974.

So there is no basis for requesting a return of a ring bsed on a breach of promise to marry. A gift is a gift, and the legislature has determined there is no recourse for that.

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. Please let me know if you require further clarification.

And, please provide a positive feedback rating -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts on your behalf - and this does not result in additional charges.

Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer