Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Going through a divorce, I make $100,000 dollars a year and

Customer Question
she makes $24,000 dollars a...
Going through a divorce, I make $100,000 dollars a year and she makes $24,000 dollars a year. We have 2 children the age of 14 and 12. Will I have to pay alimony and child support.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/17/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

A few minutes please.

The higher earning parent will typically pay child support to the other parent. CO has an income share approach, which takes into account the parties' respective income and the visitation schedule.

Basically, this formula generally combines the gross incomes of both parents, sets a basic Child Support obligation based on the combined parental incomes, and divides the Child Support obligation between the parents based on their shared total parental income.

Child support continues until the child reaches age 18, or graduates from high school - whichever occurs last.

A child support calculator can be downloaded here- https://childsupport.state.co.us/siteuser/do/vfs/Frag?file=/cm:calcPayments.jsp

One moment please.

There is now also a calculator available for alimony and the court will also consider the statutory mandated factors -

• The amount of temporary maintenance paid, if any
  • The financial resources of each spouse
  • A party's ability to support himself or herself, taking into consideration ability to be employed, the marital property division, responsibilities for childcare, and child support
  • The time needed for either spouse to obtain education or training needed to support himself or herself, and how much he or she might be able to earn in the future
  • The standard of living/lifestyle established during the marriage
  • The length of the marriage
  • The age and physical and emotional condition of the party seeking maintenance
  • The ability of the spouse who would be ordered to pay maintenance to support himself or herself while paying maintenance
  • Whether one party made significant contributions to the other party during the marriage (for instance, paying off the other party’s pre-marital or separate debt)
  • Whether one party historically made more income than the other party, and
  • Also, the Court will consider whether a maintenance order should be permanent or for a set period of time

The calculator is available here:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=71

While alimony can generally be negotiated between the parties, the court is more strict on child support, as they try to ensure that both parents are contributing to the child's support.

But generally with that kind of disparity of income there will be an award of support, (at least temporarily for the alimony)

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. Please let me know if you require further clarification.

And, please provide a positive feedback rating -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts on your behalf.

Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer