How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had an affair with a coworker least 7 yrs. maybe

Customer Question

My husband had an affair with a coworker for at least 7 yrs. maybe more. I was told by the companies HR dept. I could never contact her. She is a single woman. Wanted to find out what my rights are to find out if she has been tested for HIV
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

HR doesn't typically have jurisdiction to order a non-employee as to whether they can contact an employee (other than not allowing the person on the premises).

Let me verify some information -it will be a few minutes.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Texas abolished the alienation of affection lawsuit; a common law doctrine used to sue mistresses;

Before taking any action, the exact course of conduct should be discussed with a private attorney, to ensure that the proposed action does not constitute harrassment/defamation, based on the detailed facts of the case.

However, if a person intentionally and knowingly transmists an STD, that is a criminal issue and they can be criminally prosecuted. If it was not intentional but was negligent (should have known of disease but didn't; didn't use adequate precautions) then that is a general civil litigation/personal injury case.

During the lawsuit one would subpoena the medical records to prove that the STD existed prior to the affair, and that the defendant knew about the STD.

However, most courts would first require the spouse to be tested, as opposed to infringing upon the privacy of a third party- they would need some kind of proof before ordering testing.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

If you have any questions please post here- otherwise

kindly rate positively

(smiley faces indicate positive rating) - this results in no additional charge to the customer but allows the site to credit me for my time spent assisting you.