N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My husband is asking bank statements to see my spending

Customer Question

My husband is asking for my bank statements to see my spending because I am asking for alimony. I think this is invading my privacy and income-expense report is enough, he asks too many documents to harass, Do I have to give them my bank statements?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting spousal support now, this is about post divorce alimony. He wants to see if I am doing excessive spending but what he is paying in APL is itself so less than my needs including rent, food, medical treatment, how does my spending matter to him
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry but both parties are routinely required to produce their bank statements from the date of separation onward. Any party who asks the Judge to order that will get the order.

There is no good reason to fight the request, but you can negotiate to make the request apply to both parties, and/or, you can ask for a stipulated protective order that the bank statements are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the parties, their attorneys (and any experts retained by the attorneys) and the Court unless otherwise required by law. Meaning that a stipulated protective order will not make the statements privileged from the IRS, for example, if it subpoenas them.

I hope this information is helpful.