Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

I have lived with a female and daughter years now. The

Customer Question

I have lived with a female and daughter for 11 years now. The relationship has been over for about 8 months. I own the home and the mortgage is only in my name. She does help pay the bills each month. I have asked her to make other living arrangements. I don't need a roommate. On top of this, her sister and son come over and the sister is being disruptive/ disrespectful to me in my home.
1) Can I evict the ex-girlfriend?
2) Do I even need to allow the sister in my home?
Thank You
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

1) Can I evict the ex-girlfriend?

.

Yes, since she is legally a tenant with you being the landlord, in TX you can give her a written 30 day notice stating that her tenancy will end on a certain date.

.

If she doesn't move out and continues in possession, you must file a forcible detainer petition in Justice court, get it served, get it heard by the Justice of the Peace, and then wait 5 days for a final judgment and a writ of possession. After that the landlord can get a writ of possession and the sheriff has to post a notice at least 24 hours before the writ is executed. After the 24 hours has expired, the sheriff can physically remove a tenant.

.

.

No, Legally since the sister is not a tenant, she has no right to be there and you as a the landlord can bar her from the premises and call the police on her as a trespasser once you have notified her that she is not to return to the property.

.

.

thanks