How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot find any record of my first divorce at the

Customer Question

I cannot find any record of my first divorce at the courthouse that it was done at, and lost my paperwork for second one. My second ex won't help me, thought he did it in Iowa or possibly Missouri, but neither states can find any record. What can I do? Need these for church. The first was in Florida.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am happy to assist you today.

I am wondering whether your second ex was the one who handled this divorce, and whether you actually participated in the court proceeding? It sounds like maybe not, and maybe he never filed for divorce. Is this possible?

If you can't find records that you need, you would have to go to court and get a court order declaring that you are no longer married. This is not typical. You would have to provide evidence that you were divorced, or maybe even have the former spouses testify (I know that will be tough). That's why that may not be the best option.

The divorce would have to be in the county where either you or he lived at the time, which I see you are already aware. It is strange to me that a background check did not come up with the divorce, but it could be that the county where it happened just doesn't have documents online yet, so that's possible.

I would hate to have to see you go to court to get this straightened out, but that may be the only option if they truly have no record of this.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I had the paperwork for BOTH divorces. But lost them. I filed the first myself, check in the county in Florida where I lived at the time, they can't find it. Don't understand why the first and second one isn't showing up.
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

If you only tried once, I would try with both courts again. It doesn't make any sense that they would both be lost, if you know for sure that there was a divorce decree. I am confident you can get those papers, they can't both be lost. I would try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You are no help. I paid money for help and got no professional help. Would like my money back because I expect more from a lawyer.