How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question if I'm in another country and my wife is

Customer Question

Hey Andrea I have a question if I'm in another country and my wife is in the states how do we get a different?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we get a divorce sorry for saying different.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

You would file the divorce proceedings in the state and country in which you last resided together for a period of 6 months or longer. One person would be the plaintiff and the other would be the defendant. The plaintiff must serve the defendant with a copy of the divorce complaint. The defendant can make this much easier by agreeing to accept service of the divorce complaint sign an acknowledgement of receipt form. If the parties have an agreement as to how they want to divide their property, handle any child custody issues and handle an child support they can file a marrital settlement agreement to avoid litigation. Depending on what state its in they may not even have to appear in court.

I hope that this information and advice is helpful and I wish you the best of luck regarding the resolution of the marital issues.