Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

How can i obtain a lawyer to represent my nephew who has a

Customer Question

How can i obtain a lawyer to represent my nephew who has a domesticviolence case and a child support case upcoming. he has been ordered to participate in anger management class but has not begun them. He really needs court representation before he goes in that courtroom. He is due to go on nov 16
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

A domestic violence case is a criminal case so if nephew can't afford to hire his own attorney, he can request that a Public Defender be appointed to represent him in court. This is a constitutional right to be represented by counsel if he can't afford his own. If this is a nonsupport case, then it would be a criminal case as well.

.

I am guessing that the Nov 16 date is his arraignment where they will ask him whether he wants to plead guilty or not guilty and it is there that he can request an attorney be appointed if he can't afford his own.

.

But the PD's office can't represent him until they are appointed by the judge. So he would plead not guilty and then ask for a PD to be appointed at that hearing. Then the case would be postponed for a few weeks or months so the PD can be assigned the case and have time to meet with nephew to discuss the case.

.

.

thanks